Sonntag, 1. April 2012

AMD 6

For this AMD, I was curious to learn about chemistry vocabulary in German. I'm considering a study abroad and I'm a biochemistry major so this was really fun! Some of the words were pretty obvious (ethyl acetate is Äthylacetat) but others were a bit more tricky (Glacial acetic acid is Eis Essig).

Some of the names for chemicals are actually a lot longer in German than they are in English. Hydrazoic acid, for example is Stickstoff-wasserstoff-säure. Some terms in German are much shorter than in English too, for example the word verseift in German means something was "hydrolysed under alkaline conditions."

This was really fun to look at all of the different words. It does seem like it will be a challenge to learn all of the chemistry vocabulary in another language (especially when I haven't learned it all in my primary language!) but it could also be fun!

This is the website I used for translations. http://www-sul.stanford.edu/depts/swain/beilstein/bedict3c.html#heart

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen

Hinweis: Nur ein Mitglied dieses Blogs kann Kommentare posten.