Dienstag, 6. März 2012

Kultur4

I was a bit surprised-and frightened!-to read about the somewhat cavalier approach to pedestrian safety taken in Germany. I certainly think that it is the pedestrian's responsibility to cross safely and properly, but the idea of "playing chicken" with pedestrians frightens me! I couldn't imagine actually speeding up when I saw a jaywalking pedestrian. Trying to get as close as possible without hitting them seems like a bit much-I'd be too nervous to actually try it.

More comfortable to me was the idea of the bicycles for rent. I love the idea that you could rent one on the go, without needing to plan in advance. It seems convenient! I also like the bike paths. Having a separate area for cyclists seems like an excellent idea. It helps to prevent accidents between cyclists and motorists (not to mention pedestrians) and would surely make the overall experience of commuting more pleasurable for a cyclist. Reading this got me wondering about what it would be like in the USA if we had these bike paths. It would probably encourage more people to use their bikes to commute to work, and that would possibly make roads, trains, and buses less crowded. The result would be an easier commute for everyone, with no downsides, as far as I can see. Although I doubt that it will happen anytime soon, I'd love to see bike paths like those in Germany placed in some American cities, just to see what would happen. Who knows? The idea could catch on.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen

Hinweis: Nur ein Mitglied dieses Blogs kann Kommentare posten.