Donnerstag, 22. März 2012

Kultur 5

I find it amusing that sex shops seem to be commonplace and prevalently displayed in Germany, but flirting itself is somwhat trickier and more subtle. The thing that should seem to be more intimate and private (sex) is what is plastered all over the place, while flirting, which seems to be an American sport, is really tricky. This is exactly the opposite of what we see in America. You can't really get to the sex part of a relationship without some cursory flirting at least, so it's odd that Germans are so shy about it.

It's also interesting that German women are the ones to take the lead in the flirting exchange. In America, it's pretty ingrained for girls to play coy or hard-to-get. I feel like we're supposed to act either aloof or innocent. Too much direct interest makes you come off as "easy."

On a side note, I'm laughing inside because the German style of flirtation seems right up my brother's alley. He's so reserved and quiet when it comes to girls- he never takes initiative. Maybe while he's over in Germany during the next two years, some German girl will take the initiative to start flirting with him, and then I can have a German sister-in-law!

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen

Hinweis: Nur ein Mitglied dieses Blogs kann Kommentare posten.