I chose one artist to look at-Max Beckmann.
Beckmann was a German artist who painted in the mid-20th century (30's and 40's). His career began with realistic artwork, but eventually moved into abstract, surreal work, which became his trademark. Over the course of his career, his art style interacted with many of the art movements of his time, though he never joined any of these movements.
His art often dealt with war, which was a major factor in his life, having served in WW1, and having had to flee Germany during WWII.
His most celebrated works are a series of 9 tryptiches, which he composed later in life.
What I found interesting about Beckmann was the way in which his art was connected to Germany's history. His art could not have existed in the form it did without his connection to the political situation in Germany in the 20th century. The two are inseparable.
The combination of art and politics is something I find fascinating-art can't be viewed in a vacuum.
Keine Kommentare:
Kommentar veröffentlichen
Hinweis: Nur ein Mitglied dieses Blogs kann Kommentare posten.