Sonntag, 25. März 2012

Kultur 5

The most interesting article to me was the one about the sex shops.

When it described them as really laid back and not shameful or dirty, I definitely was reminded of the Safe Sex Store in Ann Arbor. It doesn't look shady (the whole store front is a window) and it's a welcoming environment. That being said, the Safe Sex Store is a pretty rare thing in my experience; most sex shops are weird, almost forbidden places.

Not only that, but it seems that cities have an aversion to sex shops; there are a few towns around the neighborhood I grew up in that have an ordinance that says no strip clubs can open there. Also, I remember hearing a while back that a business in Ann Arbor (Bongs and Dongs) was having trouble getting started because of the nature of their business.

The article about Women in Germany was also interesting but I thought it was lacking in one respect. It listed the facts about women in Germany and their occupations and whatnot, stating how 1/3 of all managerial positions are held by women and the other 2/3 are men. What I felt was missing from the article was a discussion of sexism; the statistics were informative but I'm left wondering what the actual work environment is like towards women.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen

Hinweis: Nur ein Mitglied dieses Blogs kann Kommentare posten.