Mittwoch, 7. März 2012

Kultur 4

For this assignment, I read the article "Two-Wheeled Teutons: Stay Off the Bike Path!" I was surprised to learn that cyclists in Germany have such authority as they do, as this is hardly the case here in America. While pedestrians seem to have some godlike aura about them that prevents them from being harmed by speeding traffic (or at least in Ann Arbor), bikers are often thrown under the bus (so to speak). What surprised me most of all was that German cyclists will often mow down pedestrians in their way rather than warn them of their approach. This aspect is particularly terrifying from a pedestrian's perspective, and makes me think that riding a bike of my own is the only way to survive in Germany!

I also read the article about red lights in Germany. This is another one that surprised me, as it certainly takes even more power away from the pedestrians. While I do my best to follow traffic lights for my own safety and for courtesy's sake, I nevertheless cannot resist the temptation when I'm in a particular hurry, especially when there is no traffic around. Another reference was made in this article to the rampant cyclists in Germany, further impressing in my conscience that German bikers are not to be taken lightly whatsoever.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen

Hinweis: Nur ein Mitglied dieses Blogs kann Kommentare posten.