For this AMD, I thought it would be funny to take a closer look at the song "99 Luftballoons". The song is almost a joke in America (at least with my friends) . Everyone kinda thinks its funny and I remember hearing that even though the artists recorded the song in English for an American audience, Americans liked the German version better. So I decided to look at the wikipedia article and was surprised to learn how political the song really was. No one listens to it in English here and we lose the true meaning of the song! It was said on the wikipedia page that the guitarist for the band "Nena" got the idea for the song when he was at a Rolling Stones concert and saw them releasing red balloons which then floated toward the horizon. This caused the guitarist to wonder what happened to these balloons as they crossed over to the Soviet Sector.
I also decided to look at the lyrics in German and see what I could translate. The first lyric was somewhat easy "Hast Du etwas Zeit fuer mich" which is "Do you have some time for me" but everything else was kind of difficult. I recognized words here and there like "Jahre","Heute", and 'gibt".
The wikipedia article also said (I'm not sure if this is completely true or not but I found it interesting) that "VH1 Classic, an American cable television station, ran a charity event for Hurricane Katrina relief in 2006. Viewers who made donations were allowed to choose which music videos the station would play. One viewer (Jonathan Harchick) donated $35,000 for the right to program an entire hour and requested continuous play of Nena's "99 Luftballons" and "99 Red Balloons" videos. The station broadcast the videos as requested from 2:00 to 3:00 p.m. EST on 26 March 2006."
I really wish I would have watched Vh1 that day!
Keine Kommentare:
Kommentar veröffentlichen
Hinweis: Nur ein Mitglied dieses Blogs kann Kommentare posten.