I selected three of the articles on German food to read, and I'm seeing some discrepancies between what seems to be common sense to me and what seems to be the actuality of life in Germany. I was surprised that Germans were so eco-conscious and concerned about their health, yet they really are into their beer, which is not a particularly healthy drink. Health experts have been saying for years now that a glass of beer or wine each day can actually be good for you, and German culture is not the sort to become rip-roaringly drunk, but still, if you consume three beers a day (one at lunch, one after work, and one with dinner, say) I wouldn't consider that to be a healthy habit. I also wonder how many beers in Germany are marketed as "organic" or "healthy" beers. Perhaps there are a larger quantity of organic beers in Germany than in America.
The article one the different kinds of beers was also interesting. I was trying to match the German types of beer up with beers I recognize as being available in America. Altbier, for example, is ale. Pils is a Pilsner? I once had a room mate who was a self-proclaimed beer snob, and I learned a lot about beer from him, so Bockbiers, Weissbiers, and Dunkles all are familiar. What I am surprised about is that they consider a 7% abv to be a highly alcoholic beer in Germany, when it is not uncommon to have a 9% beer here. Dogfish Head, a brewery in the town where my dad works, makes an awesome beer that is 18.5% abv. I suppose this also demonstrates the difference in drinking strategies- Americans drink to feel buzzed, whereas Germans drink to be refreshed, so we are more likely to have beers with a higher alcohol content.
Keine Kommentare:
Kommentar veröffentlichen
Hinweis: Nur ein Mitglied dieses Blogs kann Kommentare posten.