For this AMD, I watched part of an episode Germany's Next Top Model. I love America's Next Top Model, but there are no new episodes airing, so why not go to a different country to watch it!
I understood lots of the words that the people were saying, but I often didn't understand enough of it to make a complete sentence. I watched some parts over and over again, and each time I would pick up on some other little part of the sentence. Some of the few complete phrases I understood were:
"Wo sind die Chicas?"
"Habt alles verstehen?"
"Hallo Madchen"
"Ich bin sehr klein"
"Noch einmal"
"Lauft! Lauft! Lauft! Lauft! Lauft! Lauft! Lauft!"
I was able to get the gist of a lot of scenes though, solely from context and the few words I could understand. This episode also featured Kimora Lee Simmons, who spoke English, but they put German subtitles under her, so I could see the translations.
The most interesting part of episode, however, was watching Kimora interact with the girls. While auditioning them for a fashion show, Kimora said, "In the fashion industry, if you come into the room and you're shy, we think you're a bit of a bitch." Compared to the American models, the German girls have far less confidence and presence. It seems that in America, we put as much emphasis on the personality of the model herself as we do on her ability to model or her looks. Right now, America is all about big personalities, which is the only reason why people like Snooki or Kim Kardashian have any presence in the public eye at all. The German girls were far more reserved than Kimora wanted, which I did not expect. I expected them to have personalities that were just as big as the ones I'm used to seeing on America's Next Top Model, but that doesn't seem to be the style in Germany. What happened on the show was that Kimora became very angry when the girls weren't divas on the runway, and she started yelling at them and saying things that I thought were mean and harsh. In this setting, she really stuck out as the stereotypical loud American.
I think I'm going to have to watch this episode again when I understand more German.
Keine Kommentare:
Kommentar veröffentlichen
Hinweis: Nur ein Mitglied dieses Blogs kann Kommentare posten.