For my second AMD I read Mark Twain's The Horrors of the German Language and I found it quite humorous. I never knew that Mark Twain spoke german! Reading it actually somewhat discouraged me because it made me realize what a long way I have to go before I'll ever understand the grammar of the german language. His literal english translation showed me just how completely different the language is. It seemed there was no rhyme or reason to the placing of nouns and verbs and direct objects (even though I know there is, I just don't understand it yet). Even reading it in English was a difficult task because it sounded like a child who was just learning how to speak.
Whether this was his intention or not, Twain actually gave me a stronger sympathy for those who are just learning english. The essay showed how completely different the structure is for English and while I may think German makes absolutely no sense, newcomers to this country probably feel the same way about my language. I was also kind of confused because in class today we learned that the verb is always the second spot in a sentence yet when Twain says "Now I my speech execute", the verb is after the direct object. I imagine that one day I will learn why this is.
Keine Kommentare:
Kommentar veröffentlichen
Hinweis: Nur ein Mitglied dieses Blogs kann Kommentare posten.