Donnerstag, 12. Januar 2012

Kultur 1

When reading the brochure, a lot of what was said about German culture in America having a lack of identity, struck a chord with me. I identify myself as being of German heritage, yet I'm 4 generations removed from family that actually lived in Germany (Austria too). Because of this, my knowledge of German culture is almost non existent, except that I like bratwurst and a good wheat ale (who doesn't?). I was surprised that around 15% of Americans consider themselves German-American, since the amount of attention that the German culture generates is minimal. One of the things mentioned in the brochure is Oktoberfest, which I wish was more widely celebrated in the U.S. I'm unsure why it isn't more widely celebrated, except that maybe American's are used to associating their drinking holiday with St. Patrick's Day.

One of the thing's that stuck out to me as far as why German Culture has become so assimilated with American culture, is the lack of a single religion by German Immigrants to unite them. Because they were so wide spread in their beliefs, and religion was (and still is) one of the major forces that people identify with in America, it would make sense that they would assimilate with other people of the same religion, where as other cultures (e.g. Irish - Catholics) would not.

Before reading this, I held the assumption that a lack of German culture in America was due to the anger and bitterness during the first and second world war. I was surprised that this wasn't the case, or at least wasn't to the extent that I previously believed, and is more due to "the fact that German Americans, consciously or not, have come to identify themselves according to new categories, like race and class, that cut across ethnic lines."

Overall, it was pretty interesting to be able to understand a little better why my German heritage is so much less apparent then many of my friends growing up with Irish, Italian, and even Chinese heritage. Oh, and I'm definitely holding an Oktoberfest party next year.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen

Hinweis: Nur ein Mitglied dieses Blogs kann Kommentare posten.