Donnerstag, 12. Januar 2012

Kultur 1

I've never before realized the little impression that German culture has on our society. I was aware of the large percentage of people who claim German heritage, but it never really occurred to me that the actual culture of this heritage is hardly prevalent. The notion that the Germans arrived in America after the cultural landscape had already been solidified by the French and English particularly struck me, because I've never thought either of these cultures to be more prominent in America than that of Germany (save for the English language). Perhaps German culture has simply disintegrated into the great cliché that is the American melting pot, leaving behind the few cultural items that we're familiar with today (bratwursts, Gesundheit, etc.) If so, does this mean that other cultures are soon to follow? Is this a potential step toward the culturally homogenous American utopia that sociologists foretell? I personally enjoy the diversity of cultures that our society has to offer, and fear for the cultural richness of our social environment if such a change is happening. I think more can be done to bring forth German as a standalone culture again, spearheaded by the very people who claim such German heritage.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen

Hinweis: Nur ein Mitglied dieses Blogs kann Kommentare posten.